The UCI released an (absurd?) press release this week-end, just after friday’s last performance of Armstrong on the Oprah show. A press release to let us know that they did not ever cover up any positive results of their so generous donator…
UCI President Pat McQuaid said: “Lance Armstrong’s decision finally to confront his past is an important step forward on the long road to repairing the damage that has been caused to cycling and to restoring confidence in the sport.
“Lance Armstrong has confirmed there was no collusion or conspiracy between the UCI and Lance Armstrong. There were no positive tests which were covered up and he has confirmed that the donations made to the UCI were to assist in the fight against doping.
“It was disturbing to watch him describe a litany of offences including among others doping throughout his career, leading a team that doped, bullying, consistently lying to everyone and producing a backdated medical prescription to justify a test result.
“However, Lance Armstrong also rightly said that cycling is a completely different sport today than it was 10 years ago. In particular the UCI’s introduction of the biological passport in 2008 – the first sports federation to do so – has made a real difference in the fight against doping.
“Finally, we note that Lance Armstrong expressed a wish to take part in a truth and reconciliation process, which we would welcome.”
SURE. I believe you Pat McQuaid!
Again, UCI needs to do some major in-house cleaning, before re-gaining any credibility whatsoever.
- UCI: Armstrong confession repairs damage to sport (miamiherald.com)
- Pat McQuaid: “Lance Armstrong has confirmed there was no collusion or conspiracy” (velonation.com)
- Verbruggen: No UCI cover-up in Armstrong case (m.si.com)
- Pat McQuaid Hein Verbruggen says Armstrong’s confession helps repair damage to sport (sportsillustrated.cnn.com)
- UCI: Armstrong Confession Repairs Damage to Sport (abcnews.go.com)
- UCI: Armstrong confession repairs damage to cycling (theglobeandmail.com)